Italy Museums Tickets Reservation - Advance tickets to Museums in Italy - Online booking Tickets Museum Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice
English Site Sito Italiano
 

News & Events
BUY NOW Your Ticket

Buy your Museum Ticket now!!

> more details


Exibitions
Da Brooklyn al Bargello: Giovanni della Robbia, la lunetta Antinori di Stefano Arienti
> more details

Tissue and richness in Florence in the XIV century. Wool, silk and painting.

From December 5th, 2017 to March 18th, 2018

> more details

The Uffizi Galleries and the environment

Sala del Camino


From September 5th to October 15th, 2017 

> more details

National Archeological Museum in Florence

A very important Etruscan collection and an amazing Egyptian section, second best in Italy, make this National Museum one of the most important archaeological museums in Italy.


A landmark in any understanding of Etruscan civilization and art. There is also a section devoted to ancient Egypt. The museum and its vast collection were severely damaged by the great flood of 1966, but restorers have been reopening room after room and many of the displays can now be visited again.




1
Choose a date:

Opening Hours:

From Tuesday to Friday, 8:30 am - 19:00 pm; Moday ,Saturday and Sunday, 8:30 am - 2:00 pm; CLOSED: 1 January, 1 May, 25 December.

Next Exibitions:



Booking Terms:

 

For further information, visit our "Terms and Conditions".

 

Entry to the Archeological Museum  is available every 15  minutes

 

Reservation on line is allowed to 10 persons maximum.  For groups of more than 10 persons : please send a specific email to booking@mtritaly.com

 

Prices
In order to know the price of tickets for a specific date, please select date, time of visit, and number and kind of tickets.

 

Reductions

  • European citizens (EEC) aged 18 to 25 : reduced prices
  • European citizens (EEC)  under 18: free tickets, pay only Reservation Fee (*)
  • Under 18 years old: free tickets, pay only Reservation Fee (*)


(*) Reservation Fee: each reservation costs € 8,00

 
 

IMPORTANT: the tickets are absolutely NON-REFUNDABLE. 

 

Modifications
If you must change the time and/or date after the confirmation has been issued, you have to pay a "modification fee" of € 8.00.

The museum was inaugurated in the presence of king Vittorio Emanuele II in 1870. At that time it only comprised Etruscan and Roman remains. As the collections grew, a new site soon became necessary and in 1880 the museum was transferred to its present building.
The collection's first foundations were the family collections of the Medici and Lorraine, with several transfers from the Uffizi up to 1890 (except the collections of marble sculpture which the Uffizi already possessed).
The Egyptian section was first formed in the first half of the 18th century from part of the collections of Pierre Léopold de Toscane, from another part of an expedition promoted by the same Grand Duke in 1828-29 and led by Ippolito Rosellini and Champollion (the man who first deciphered hieroglyphics). In 1987 a new topographic museum on the Etruscans was added, but it was destroyed in the 1966 floods.


The Etruscan Collection
The organisation of the Etruscan rooms was reconsidered and reordered in 2006. Also in 2006, the 40-year-overdue restoration was carried out on over 2000 objects damaged in the 1966 floods.


Focus on The Egyptian Museum
The Egyptian section of the collection is known as the Egyptian Museum, and is the second largest collection of Egyptian artifacts in Italy, after that of the Museo Egizio in Turin.
Florence's first collection of Egyptian antiquities was in the Medici collection, dating from the eighteenth century. In the nineteenth century, Leopoldo II, Grand Duke of Tuscany  Leopold II, began acquisition of the artifacts now housed at the Egyptian Museum. Together with Charles X of France, he financed a scientific expedition to Egypt in 1828 to 1829. The expedition was directed by Jean Francois Champollion, who deciphered the hieroglyphic script. Ippolito Rosellini, friend and student of Champollion, represented the Italian interests during the expedition. He went on to become the father of Italian Egiptology. Many artifacts were collected during the expedition, both from archeological diggings, and via purchases from local merchants. On their return, these were distributed evenly between the Louvre in Paris, and the new Egyptian Museum in Florence.

 


The museum was officially opened in 1855. The first director was Ernesto Schiaparelli. He later went on to become director of the larger Egyptian museum in Turin. By 1880 he had catalogued the collection and organized transportation of the antiquities to the Florentine Archaeological Museum. Under Schiaparelli, the collection expanded with further excavations and purchases carried out in Egypt. Many of the artifacts were, however, later transferred to Turin.
The Florentine collection continued to grow after this time, with donations from private individuals and scientific institutions.
In particular, the Papyrological Institute of Florence provided artifacts from its expeditions to Egypt between 1934 and 1939. These now provide one of the most substantial collections of Coptic art and documents in the world.

 


The museum now has a permanent staff including two professional Egyptologists. It houses more than 14,000 artifacts, distributed in nine galleries and two warehouses. The artifacts displayed in the galleries have been substantially restored. The old classification system devised by Schiaparelli is being replaced by a new, chronological and partly topographical system.
The collection comprises material that extends from the prehistorical era right through to the Coptic Age. There are remarkable collections of stele, mummies, ushabti, amulets and bronze statuettes of several eras. There are statues from the reign of Amenhotep III, a chariot from the eighteenth dynasty, a pillar from the tomb of Seti I, a New Testament papyrus and many other distinctive artifacts from many periods.

National Archeological Museum in Florence




Your Shopping Cart:
 
 

Share with Friends


Guided Tours

Other Products
Discover Venice and gondola ride

An original way to discover Venice from two different perspectives: a guided walking tour of the area between St Mark’s S ......

> more details


The World Is Mine - Luxury Travel Operator & Travel Agency

The World is Mine - Palazzo Capponi delle Rovinate - Via dé Bardi, 36 - 50125 Firenze

Tel. +39 055.234.7663 - Fax +39 055.200.8266 - booking@mtritaly.com
JDR consulting s.r.l. - PI e CF 05589770485 - Capitale sociale eur 10.000,00 iv - REA 558946 CCIAA di Firenze

 

Museum Ticket Reservations